Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sat Jan 3 17:30:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 18:41, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> I've done the floppy install (series of 4 floppies) of Debian before.  I
> liked the network install, though Debian didn't meet my particular
> needs. I also downloaded and burned a whole series of CDROMs and it only
> used the first CD. (A big waste, but a learning experience).  I think
> that their other concept of selecting desired programs that then create
> your customized installations is a good approach, if dependencies could
> be met through the selector.
>
> It might serve Fedora to have such a capability, though it sounds like
> it would be a nightmare to implement successfully.

It's there.  If you boot with the floppy image (boot.img + drvnet.img
from the images/ directory), then you can do an ftp install with just 2
floppies instead of four :)

> Instead of the installation option being kind of hidden, it would be
> nice to see it available as a choice when the first disc booted up.
> Alternatively, a credit card  model with just ftp / http installation
> starting might be a good idea. I heard mention of a boot.iso, so it must
> already exist and is or can be offered within the regular directory that
> contains the usual 6 discs. ( rpms, srpms)

I don't see how this is hidden...  If you boot with regular CDs, then
the right thing to do is go ahead and use them because that's what the
99% case is going to want.  You can bypass the autocd detection (boot
with 'linux askmethod') -- all of this is in the syslinux help screens
:/

boot.iso is located in the images/ directory and is an approximately 4
meg image that you can burn to CD and start an install with.  Maybe
putting it in the isos directory instead of just the tree would help
raise the visibility here.

Cheers,

Jeremy