Why KAME/racoon sucks (was: OpenSWAN ANNOUCEMENT)

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sun Jan 4 07:36:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Dax Kelson wrote:
> As a user and an administrator of variety of production systems IKE
> daemons ranging from KAME/racoon, isakmpd, Solaris 8/9 IKE, FreeSWAN,
> and SuperFreeSWAN, I can comment that I've found all but SuperFreeSWAN
> sorely lacking.

There are more dimensions to this debate than just the number of
features.

> c) Virtual-IP support for persistent inner IP address in ESP packets.
> This allows no-headache IPsec through non-brain dead NATing
> routers/firewalls without resorting to the following.
>
> d) NAT-T (ala ESP-over-UDP) for IPsec through brain dead NATing
> routers/firewalls.

Are you aware that these are covered by multiple IPR claims?

> g) XAUTH support (authenticate VPN users/tunnels via PAM)

This is dangerous, and has been rejected in the IETF for
standardization.  Why again should this be done then?  If you want to
authenticate users/tunnels via PAM, can't this be done by creating a
PAM module interfacing IKE?

Also look at Bugtraq thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bugtraq&m=107124772803447&w=2

> h) DHCP over IPSec

That's already supported, I guess.  What you're saying is maybe
"DHCP-over-IKE"?  I believe that has also been rejected at the IETF,
but not sure.