prelink breaks glibc-2.3.3-3.ppc.rpm (which breaks rpm)

Alex Kiernan alex.kiernan at thus.net
Mon Jan 5 08:00:49 UTC 2004

I updated my box yesterday and rpm broke overnight (presumably when
prelink ran from cron), it looks like something about the way
libc.so.6 gets prelinked from glibc-2.3.3-3.ppc.rpm changed (I'm not
entirely sure what version I had before).

I'm getting:

rpm: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/librpmdb-4.2.so: R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x0fe750d8 for symbol `memset' out of range

(along with anything else which uses librpmdb-4.2.so).

Using nm on libc.so.6 with prelinking and after a prelink -u, I get:

[alexk at alexk rpm]$ nm /lib/libc.so.6 |grep memset
0fef21a4 t __GI_memset
0fef7a58 t __GI_wmemset
0fef21a4 T memset
0fef7a58 T wmemset
[alexk at alexk rpm]$ nm /lib/libc.so.6 |grep memset
000821a4 t __GI_memset
00087a58 t __GI_wmemset
000821a4 T memset
00087a58 T wmemset

I'm not sure if this is really a glibc bug, a prelink bug, or if rpm
should be built with -fPIC (which is what I'm just trying).

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc