Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size - The separated OS

Thomas Munck Steenholdt tmus at get2net.dk
Mon Jan 5 12:43:34 UTC 2004

> well... somebody said, that it can't be devided....
>
> But - FC1 have a lot of development tools right on the CD, which I believe
> is wrong.
>
> My suggestion - is have have product division like in Microsoft - or
> Lindows.com
>
> They have -
>
> 1) OS (kernel, GUI, all the basic things, basic text and image editors) -
> this everyone needs
>
> 2) Office (OpenOffice can be separated, but because it's small enough - it
> won't be good)
>
> MS Office and Lindows Office is separated - because about HALF of the home
> users doesn't use Office at all...
>
> 3) MS Visual Studio for Developers (And this part in FC1 take a LOT of
> space...) - This must include KDevelop, other IDEs, some source code,
> tutorials, compilers, programming documentation, ...
>
> Lindows doesn't have an analogue for that (as I know)
>
> 4) Plus+! (multimedia enchacements, and eye-candy's for their OSes -
> something FC1 lacks totally with few exceptions, like the Marble Desktop
> Theme in KDE, and a few plug-ins for XMMS)
>
> In Windows XP the Plus! gives me: many desktop backgrounds, MP3 to WMA
> audio converter,
>
> Windows Media Player skins, and visualizations, 3 games (2 of which are
> 3D), 8 beautyful Direct3D screensavers, and 4 Desktop themes.
>
> =======================================================I would be VERY
> happy if such Plus! project would exist for FC Linux as well... - because
> it will REALLY enchance FC Linux in home user's eyes...
>
> Really slick OpenGL Open-Source screen-savers can be put there:
> http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/mirrors.php
>
> the Marble KDE Desktop theme to be moved there, some 3D games like
> TuxRacer should move from the OS to FC Plus!, and maybe well also add a
> few ogg-vorbis compression utilities that way. Actually a lot of
> multimedia stuff can migrate to FC Plus!, AND many new stuuf must be
> added. Note: that it sometimes better to leave a lot of space free on the
> Plus CD, than put low-quality stuff there.
>
> =========================================================So that way the
> OS will take only 2 CDs, and the developers will only need the FC and
> FedoraDevbeloper CDs, while home user will need only FC, and FedoraPlus!
> CDs. This style is very benefical.

Just a few points of my own...

I don't know about Lindows.com, but the only reason that MS has divided
their products is in order to make more $$$ people want seperate media/docs
when they buy several products.

I'm quite happy with the way FC1 (and all of the Red Hat distros for that
matter) is today... You can't say that installation makes it more difficult
for end users, because the develompent stuff is left out of the installation
by default.
The only point, as I see it, is the matter of media, which IMHO should be
solved by providing a DVD .iso file in addition to the CD .isos... One disc
for everything!!!

Thomas