Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size - The separated OS

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Mon Jan 5 14:14:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:

> > On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:43:34PM +0100, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
> >> The only point, as I see it, is the matter of media, which IMHO should
> >> be
> >> solved by providing a DVD .iso file in addition to the CD .isos... One
> >> disc
> >> for everything!!!
> >
> > Someone posted a script to generate a DVD iso from the others I believe.
> >
> > There are good reasons for trying to get a base setup down to 1 or 2 CD's
> > (and for
> > workstation with basic languages it is btw in FC1). Firstly if you have a
> > really dodgy
> > CD drive then doing a minimal install of CD then using yum to pull the
> > rest off another
> > box is a lifesaver. Secondly for plenty of people 3 CD's is a lot of date,
> > and a great
> > way to exceed broadband limits in many places if they have broadband.
> >

> > Alan
> >

> You're right... But I would personally prefer if packages were rearranged
> on the CD's rather than making different "products" out of them.
> Mayby thats all a matter of definition of "product", but i really like to
> have it all in one big package.
> Perhaps packages could be rearranged so that a personal system could be
> installed off CD 1 - no need for the other CDs... Making CD2 bootable too,
> could allow a server installation to be carried out from that with no need
> for other CDs. etc etc etc...
> The entire installation would then be exactly as it is today, only you
> could bo with only a subset of the discs!

FWIW when I was in barnes & nobel the other day I saw a book called
"Fedora Companion" It is by Red Hat Press and contained a 2 CD set of FC1 or
so the label says. I did not buy it but for those of you wanting a stripped
down version to install it appears that it is already available. You just
have to buy the book. :-)

......Tom