Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 5 14:47:40 UTC 2004

> Essentially, using a network install (as mentioned here) would be just
> as slow as downloading the ISOs from a mirror?  Not a pleasant option,
> even with broadband.

Not really. You wouldn't download ALL of the packages if you were doing
a network install. You'd only install the ones you selected.
it is rare that someone installs EVERY SINGLE PACKAGE.

> The last time I did a network install was with RH5.2 way back when, on
> my then cable modem.  Not fun - a basic install took all night to run,
> and I've never touched network installs since (off the Internet.  I do
> network installs off a LAN frequently).

You need to look up better mirrors.

> I hardly know anything of the internal workings of Anaconda, but
> perhaps there is a way to do network installs of bittorrent shares?
> Now THAT would be interesting!

Extremely hard, in fact. Bittorrent normally hosts only the isos, not
each package.

-sv