include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Mon Jan 5 19:16:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:10:38PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> Try this sometime - process 100000+ pieces of mail a day and see if AV
> scanning doesn't add much load? AV scanning centrally does NOT scale.

I can't quite hit the 100k mark, but...

 13:07:25  up 7 days,  3:42,  2 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.11, 0.09

That box is processing around 15k mails per day.  Granted it is a
beefy box, but with the right configuration of postfix, clamav, and
amavis-ng (in this case, although I plan to switch to amavisd-new), it
isn't a ridiculous load.

> Moreover - if you are always protecting your users then they will never
> learn.

That box handles mail for a small university.  There is *no* way they
will ever be able to control the desktops of thousands of students and
faculty.

In any case, going back to the original subject, this is definitely a
project better left for Extras.  In all honesty, spamassassin should
probably be moved out of Core (and be updated a lot more often).

Hopefully next month I'll have time to attack my pile of rpms again,
so if somebody doesn't beat me to it, I will have amavisd-new and its
many, many dependencies packaged for fedora.us soon.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/