determining whether a packages should be in Extras ( was include much needed antivirus products in FC2)

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Mon Jan 5 19:30:31 UTC 2004

Steven Pritchard wrote:

> In any case, going back to the original subject, this is
> definitely a project better left for Extras.  In all honesty,
> spamassassin should probably be moved out of Core (and be updated > a
lot more often).

Now there's a thought of general interest.... what are some really good
general litmus tests to determine if a package is suitable for Core or
suitable for Extras. I personally like the idea that packages that
people feel need to be updated more regularly than the Fedora Core
release schedule of 4-6 months between Core releases..should be
maintained in extras. And I'm not talking about bug/security fix
updates. But for something like an antivirus package where the virus
definition scanning 'feature' should be updated as often as possible to
ensure continued effectiveness. Of course one could also argue that if
the package needs to be updated every week to be effective...maybe the
list or config that needs weekly updates should be updated via a
separate mechansim than the package update mechanism.

-jef