include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Mon Jan 5 19:51:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:13:31 +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

> Essentially - Core components should be contained in the core
> distribution and I think that, antivirus
> should be considered a core component, as you really need some kind of
> virus defence on any server,

That doesn't persuade me why a virus scanner (it's not an anti-virus!)
should be a core component and not an optional add-on. Where Clamav is
installed on a server to shield client systems which run that "other OS"
from receiving virus-infected messages, this sounds as if it has a special
target group, and hence an add-on is the right solution.

> that serves either mail or file services to clients... Just like
> spamassassin is included in the core!

Well, SPAM is a platform independent problem. It makes sense to protect
client/desktop end-user systems as well as servers from SPAM.

> Also, until the  "extras" goes "live" for real, I (perhaps out of
> ignorance)  don't feel that confident (please
> comment on this) with the fedora.us packages as the download.fedora.com
> ones?!?

I can't comment on such a point of view because I don't understand
it. Maybe you can explain a bit more what doesn't make you feel
"confident". Maybe you have false expectations with regard to what
a fully official Fedora Extras will offer.