include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Adam Debus rhl at reachone.com
Mon Jan 5 22:46:44 UTC 2004

> > Same thing I have found in any large setting. THe costs of putting
> > anti-virus software on over 100 desktops in time, effort, extra
> > sysadmins, and a dozen other things... makes centralizing it better.
>
> You have to have AV on the clients ANYWAY b/c email is not the only
> vector for viruses.
>
> So you're not benefited by centralizing, you're just taking care of it
> in two places.

    Sure, but at least then I know that at least part of my bases are
covered. From the standpoint of an ISP, I don't care what virii my customers
get as long as it doesn't impact other customers. So, if they get a virus
from downloading something off download.com, odds are all it's going to do
is corrupt a few files, perhaps the MBR, generally those aren't
self-propigating. It's the e-mail and windows RPC worms that I'm concerned
about - and I can take care of the most of that by having AV on my e-mail
server, and port blocks on my routers (and just for the record, we've had
blocks on 137 etc, for months, and while we get no complaints about it being
there, we still get hit - internally and externally - hundreds of thousands
of times a day - and that's after e-mails and calls to customers trying to
get them to patch up.)

Thanks,

Adam Debus
Network Engineer, ReachONE Internet