include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Mon Jan 5 22:50:09 UTC 2004

On 5 Jan 2004, seth vidal wrote:

>> Same thing I have found in any large setting. THe costs of putting
>> anti-virus software on over 100 desktops in time, effort, extra
>> sysadmins, and a dozen other things... makes centralizing it better.
>
>You have to have AV on the clients ANYWAY b/c email is not the only
>vector for viruses.
>
>So you're not benefited by centralizing, you're just taking care of it
>in two places.

And defense in depth is a bad thing?

For the last couple of years, the primary vector for virus's has been
via email. By having the virus scanning on the incoming servers, we have
reduced the need to update 10,000 desktops in 1-2 hours to 24-48 hours
when a new virus definition comes out. That was all the difference
between low problem to no-sleep for a week on the various worms that
came out this year.

In the end, this argument is more about how to pronounce tomato, but
seems to be like we are questioning each others religous choices. Some
of us kneel, some of us dont, and some say its somebody elses problem
:).

Stephen John Smoogen            smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 5-8058
Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545