Essential Packages

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Jan 6 13:15:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 21:56, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> I think the Core should be a framework, containing the basic tools and
> technologies to cover the majority of general purpose uses. I think the
> Core is more than Base (bash, kernel, glibc, etc), but not much more
> than is needed for the user to use yum or up2date to customize it to
> their liking. Users want package availability with the click of a mouse,

While I agree that "click of a mouse" access is great, I also think that
CDs fill an important role.  Third parties are likely to sell CD's if
you want to buy.  You can carry them over to friends' houses.  Have them
when you've taken your laptop on the road.  Have them when you move into
a new house without DSL.  Distributers are likely to BitTorrent them as
opposed to individual packages.

If the core OS is slimmed down, I'd like to see add-on isos drawn from
Extras released near the same time as Core.  Maybe they could be
organized along the lines of "Server Software", "Desktop Enhancements",
"Toys", etc.  As long as dependencies could be worked out, they could
even be yum repositories on a disk.

--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>