include much needed antivirus products in FC2

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:40:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, seth vidal wrote:

> > That argument seems to be inversed. Unless you have a very small
> > amount of clients, you are always better off doing it serverside.
> >

> or unless you have very good virus signature updating systems or very
> good control.

We have the former and still see a lot of gain with email scanning at the
perimeter.  SoBig would have crippled us were it not for email based
scanning.

> > Or do you really chase your Laptop users to upgrade their systems?
>
> The laptops I support run Linux. Not windows so it's not an issue. But
> moreover you still haven't solved the virus problem by blocking ONLY at
> the mail server. Remember all the ms messenger worm propagation? So it
> sounds like you're still chasing down your windows workstations and
> laptops...

No, but to get back on track, linux (and MacOSX and Solaris, etc..) can be
placed into a Typhiod Mary situation on a local network, distributing viri
laden files either over samba, ftp, http, nntp, etc.. whatever they're
serving.  Since one of the things that people want to do with linux is
make it work with other OS'es I think having some form of AV product in
Core (and alternatives in Extras) makes sense.  People will want and/or
need it and since it's useful for servers and well as desktops that might
be running samba to a co-workers computer, Core sounds like a good place
for it to be.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free