include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Eric Feldhusen efeldhusen at chartermi.net
Tue Jan 6 16:15:55 UTC 2004

nathan r. hruby wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, seth vidal wrote:
> No, but to get back on track, linux (and MacOSX and Solaris, etc..) can be
> placed into a Typhiod Mary situation on a local network, distributing viri
> laden files either over samba, ftp, http, nntp, etc.. whatever they're
> serving.  Since one of the things that people want to do with linux is
> make it work with other OS'es I think having some form of AV product in
> Core (and alternatives in Extras) makes sense.

I agree with this.  All of my RH8/9/FC1 servers are deployed in school
districts where they're doing the beard and butter Samba/Netatalk for
all the windows and macs.  With teachers bringing in floppies *yeah,
it's old school, but change is difficult* and cd's, I've had problems
with virii getting back on the network. We've finally got anti-virus on
all desktops now, so virii in the home directories "should" be going
away/gone, BUT, if I can check all home directories with a quick
piece-of-mind scan on my servers, that's something I want to do.

Eric Feldhusen