include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Tue Jan 6 17:14:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:48:08PM +0100, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
> Now that I have heard som much good about the quality about the packages
> at fedora.us, i decided to try to yum the packages for clamav onto my
> test system... Let me just say that those packages are certainly not of
> a quality that can even begin to compare against what we're used to from
> the core packages... A core package can safely be assumed to install
> cleanly. It will have it's init scripts added to the chkconfig setup,
> provide a decent default configuration file that can be modified slightly
> to fit the users needs and if the package includes a daemon it can then
> be started with a "service foo_service start" command.

Actually, in my really, really, really light testing of the clamav
package, I wasn't impressed either.  I still prefer my package.  But I
never had time to QA the clamav package, so I'm not sure I have the
right to complain.

Note to Warren: You might want to move that clamav package back out
into testing.

The basic problem here is that some packages just don't have much of a
user base.  (Until amavis or something is included in fedora.us, there
probably won't be that many users of clamav.)  It's still hard to find
enough users who know the software and care enough to get packages
through fedora.us's QA, but I have to assume that will get better.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/