include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Jan 6 20:56:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, seth vidal wrote:

> > That doesn't really follow, though. There are many applications in Core
> > which are there because they facilitate integration of Fedora into
> > environments with legacy OSes -- rdesktop, samba, etc. AV's just another one
> > such app.
> >

> rdesktop you can use with vnc on ANY platform.

No. rdesktop does RDP so you can access Windows Terminal Server, XP, etc.
It's a Linux equivalent to Citrix. It has nothing to do with vnc, or with
anything other than allowing Linux to function as a client of Windows

> Samba has been in there for a long time.

And? It's still useful for Linux to interoperate, and the tools needed for
that are still good to include.

> AV depends on access to commercial virus definitions iirc. I'd say that's
> a good reason not to include it.

No it doesn't. You're arguing awfully hard against something you haven't
even looked at....

> And hell, there are N web browsers in FC1 does that mean we should add N
> more?
> No.

That's a different argument. There are no AV scanners in FC1.

later,
chris