include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Jan 6 21:23:50 UTC 2004

Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> Keep in mind one other aspect of the core/extras discussion -- if it
> is of real value in the RHEL product, is mature enough for deployment
> on FCn, and there is sufficient interest that it will get tested,
> RedHat may be motivated to include it. I think all these criteria may
> be met in the case of clamav.

And i think...the idea is that things show up in Extras first...then
become consideration for Core. But really...this whole line of
discussion is premature. Until there is an official Fedora Extras to
build policy around, pretending that its important right now to hammer
out policy specifics about which SPECIFIC packages should move out of
core and into extras and out of extras into core...is just wasteful.

What is of value probably right now, is not debating specific packages
or groups of packages that should be moved in or out...or even how big
the optimal Core should be. What i think is of value right now is a
brainstorming discussion about merit based technical characteristic that
pieces of Core MUST/should meet to be worthy of being inside
Core...without naming any package or package group by name. There should
be some sort of checklist that can be in general followed to encourage
developers working on packages sitting in Extras to work on
features/functionas that make that specific application more in line for
Core consideration.

Reading the default applications guideline for the desktop project with
a liberal eye, i see quite a number of bullet items that I think can be
expanded on to applied as a general checklist to any packages looking to
be considered for Core.
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/desktop/defaults.html

That is of course just a point of reference to start thinking about what
technical things merit an application/project to be worth consideration
in Core. But i certainly don't think just having a popularity contest is
really enough. There needs to be an element of userbase desire for it in
core...but i think there must be clear technical considerations (like
internationalization support) that Core should be striving to meet as a
goal, to encourage outside developers to build high quality projects.

-jef