Fedora News Updates #1

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Wed Jan 7 16:42:14 UTC 2004

Colin Charles wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 18:49, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > I hope Fedora News stops instructing newbies to use root for anything
> > (including making RPMS from software obtained without any checks).
> >
> > If people start getting used to do it, pretty soon now we'll have
> > viruses. No, seriously.
> >
> > Fedora News: STOP IT, PLEASE!
> > Hmm, I posted a reply to this on fedora-list, verifying that I
> > have no such instructions and only do mailing list summaries
> > (basically) and stuff on the Net and well, on irc.

I think the root usage comment was refering to tutorials and howto on
the fedoranews site, and not referring to the summary. Seems someone
hasn't gotten the hint that FedoraNews is a repository for several
community contributors writing Howtos and Tutorials, and failed to cite
the specific examples of unwise root usage.

Anyways, since we are on the topic of FedoraNews. My only question is...
Are the Howtos and Tutorials at FedoraNews inline with the Documentation
Guidelines of the Fedora Docs subproject which you are listed as
volunteering to be an editor? It get the feeling that FedoraNews is
being used to refine tutorial ideas via community feedback as part of
producing material for the official docs project, but i don't know if
that has been clearly stated anywhere. If there is a direct connection
with FedoraNews submissions and the official docs subproject i think
that should be clearly stated at the FedoraNews homepage. And if there
isn't a direct connection...there should be.

-jef