The spec file

Casey Price linuxproject at aws-sj.com
Thu Jan 8 06:36:49 UTC 2004

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has a known working spec file creation script of
spec template. I've seen some templates before, but I am looking to find
one that works for most packages without major changes.
Such a template I have found is here:

Summary   :
Name      :
Version   :
Release   :
License   : GPL
Group     :
Vendor    :
Packager  : Casey Price <linuxproject at aws-sj.com>
Source0   :
Source1   :
Patch0    :
Patch1    :
URL       :
BuildRoot : %{_tmppath}/%{name}-buildroot
#Requires :

%description

%prep
rm -rf %buildroot
%setup -q

%build
%configure
make %{_smp_mflags}

%install
rm -rf %{buildroot}
%makeinstall

%clean
rm -rf %{buildroot}

%post -p /sbin/ldconfig
%postun -p /sbin/ldconfig

%files
%defattr(-, root, root)
%doc AUTHORS COPYING Changelog NEWS README TODO
%{_libdir}/*.a
%{_libdir}/*.la
%{_libdir}/*.so
%{_mandir}/man3/*
%{_datadir}/%{name}
%{_bindir}/*

%changelog
* Casey Price <linuxproject at aws-sj.com>
- Initial RPM release.

Should it work with the standard ./configure, make and make install
commands? I am still in beginners stages of understanding spec file
creation and composition. Another thing I am curious about, is what
portion of the spec file determines which distribution it will work on, or
if this isn't a factor. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

--
Casey Price