Fedora Extras (was: Re: RPM submission procedure)

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Jan 8 12:10:28 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote :

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:11:05 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> > Eric S. Raymond wrote :
> >
> > > But I just got told twice that the Extras repository does not yet
> > > exist!
> >
> > ...and this is IMHO the biggest issue ATM. Once the minimal
> > infrastructure shows up,
>
> Minimal infrastructure won't make people happy who find the current
> fedora.us infrastructure and system unsatisfactory.

Not necessarily. I meant things like a CVS repository for all spec files
and patches (shared for Core, Extras and Alternatives for instance),
starting to reuse (some of) the fedora.us guidelines and policies etc.

> Minimal
> infrastructure most likely means non-automated builds, and that will
> require human resources to perform package sanity checks before developer
> time is wasted on failed build attempts.

Opening automated builds to outside developers, i.e. "part of the world"
won't be trivial, so I wouldn't expect that to be anything near, even once
past the "minimal infrastructure" part. Then again it would be a nice
surprise if I was wrong about that.

I'm not quite sure I understand the end of your statement, so maybe I
missed your point.

> > it'll hopefully start moving forward real fast.
>
> Public discussion of the planned general procedure of package submission
> and approval, too.

I got the impression that the discussions which started ended with very few
interventions from Red Hat's side, and "let's just reuse fedora.us" from
the people contributing to fedora.us's side. Without more elements from Red
Hat as to where the main direction is headed, I don't think current
discussions can get to an acceptable (i.e. interesting) signal/noise level,
and I take this very thread as a witness ;-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2138.nptl
Load : 0.77 0.59 0.81