RPM submission sanity check

Mike Chambers mike at netlyncs.com
Thu Jan 8 16:04:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 09:40, Robert Billing wrote:

> I'm a little bit mystified by the submission procedure. And the more I
> read the submission thread the more mystified I get. While I
> understand the need for QA, and can understand why packages ought to
> be PGP signed I really would appreciate a few hints about the way I
> should go.
>
> For example, do I need to have pre and post install scripts? My little
> package contains a C source, a man page, a makefile and a spec file.
> Do I need to add other things to get through QA or is that enough?
>
> Would somebody who knows how this works mind pointing me in the right
> direction? Thanks.

As far as Red Hat and Fedora goes, there is no way of submitting and
including packages/RPMs to be included with Fedora/RHEL as of *yet*.
That is being worked on and discussed.  But if you want to get into that
process, try fedora.us as that is what will be initially merged and
become part of the Fedora process, with/without their
guidelines/procedures, depending on what Red Hat wants to
keep/change/remove during the merge.

I'm sure someone from fedora.us will send a URL to let you browse/read
on how to submit packages, QA and that type stuff so you can get in the
habit for the early stages.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!"