Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jan 8 17:16:56 UTC 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 11:19 am, Chris Ricker wrote:
> Just looking at one of them, the bluez-bluefw-1.0-68.i586.patch.rpm, the
> rpm really only contains 1 file if you extract it out, but rpm -qlp on it
> lists ~20 files (the same ~20 file names as in the original bluez-bluefw
> rpm which shipped in the distro). Presumably, when installed, it leaves the
> existing files, but replaces one old one with the new one. Beyond that, I
> don't know much about it, though I've been meaning to play with it more and
> see at some point....

What about the biggies, like kernel and kernel-source?  Since the files are in
physically different locations, just packaging changed files means that upon
installation all the other files have to be moved into the new directories.
The kernel-source download size for small patches is what prompted me in
this.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology