Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Thu Jan 8 18:54:36 UTC 2004

Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> I think a reasonable assumption would be that to use patch rpms
> you need the original FC<x> media (low-bandwidth users should have >
these around), and just have patch rpm for every errata.

Is providing a low bandwidth solution to updates really worth the extra
testing and the extra mirroring..the extra drain on development and
building resources. Are we saying that low bandwidth people are going to
have to choose between rpmdiff packages and being able to use custom
packages or Fedora Alternatives or 3rd party alternative rpms safely and
effectively?

And you will have to require official mirrors to carry them...i really
dont think optional carrying of this is going to really be all that
useful. And i'm not going to step into the mirroring politics side of
that argument. If official mirror maintainers see potential problems
with carrying the rpmdiffs...their expert opinions need to be taking
with grave attention.

-jef