QA process was Re: RPM submission procedure

Stefan van der Eijk stefan at eijk.nu
Thu Jan 8 19:05:40 UTC 2004

Toshio wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 13:01, Ronny Buchmann wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 08 January 2004 18:32, Steven Pritchard wrote:
>>

>>>My only other complaint, and it really is more of a suggestion, is
>>>that it would be *really* nice if the easy things (like "does this
>>>package build") were automated.  It would be *really* nice if the
>>>automatically-built packages were put into a repository (accompanied
>>>by USE AT YOUR OWN RISK warnings) that reviewers could download and
>>>test from.  At that point it becomes almost zero effort for interested
>>>people (like me) to install a package on a test box and let it run for
>>>a while.
>>>

>>IMHO this auto-built repository is the only testing repository needed.
>>People could test packages from there and than vote for inclusion in "stable"
>>repo. This would simplify QA in a great way.
>>

>It took me a while to see this, but there really is a need for a two
>step QA/testing process -- at least when you involve an autobuilder:
>Pre-build:
>Check for trojans and compromise attempts.

This isn't that difficult. At Mandrake a diff of the changes (patches
and .spec file) are put into the e-mail announcing the change. This
gives the reader a quick & clear overview of what has changed. For the
sources I would say: let the automated rebuild download them from the
original place, and check the signatures.

>Auto-Builder:

Check out SlBd:  http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/SlBd at
Mandrake this tool is used to automatically rebuild the ports (alpha,
amd64, sparc and sparc64).