RPM submission procedure

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Thu Jan 8 19:09:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:32:12 -0600, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 07:47:02AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Packaging is not "art", it is an engineering task. We should focus on
> > packaging software correctly, not on beautifying a build script.
>
> I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this.  My earlier "pain
> in the ass" comment about getting packages in fedora.us mostly came as
> a result of someone commenting on one of my perl module packages,
> saying it didn't match the templates and should be redone.

Could be that I've seen that comment, too, recently. I don't remember
right now. Feel free to add "rh0212ms at arcor.de" to the Cc field, though
I cannot promise to work on it soon due to time constraints.

> I only have two complaints about the fedora.us QA process right now.
> As near as I can tell, the only review that has happened of any of the
> packages I've submitted so far has been a couple of people picking
> apart my spec files for issues of style, not correctness.  Personally,
> I think style issues should be reserved for *after* any package has
> made it into testing, at least.

Where necessary, I like to point out that some comments during a package
review are _recommendations_ (suggestions) and not blocker criteria.
When "must fix" issues are found, that is the chance to add some
improvements which are considered good packaging practise. Or if
a package summary is wrong or a description contains many errors
or if the package includes makefiles or executable documentation
files, I don't really see why to not fix such minor issues sooner
than later [or forget about them and make a package appear sloppy].

I think some requirements, such as a standard Buildroot definition, look
a bit unfortunate, but are due to the current build system and human
resources performing the builds.