Wouldn't it be a large improvement if supermount was add to kernel 2.6 so people won't have to mount anymore

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 23:39:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 21:44, Kristof vansant wrote:
> Supermount is a pseudo-filesystem which manages filesystems on removable
> media like floppy disks and CD-ROMs. It frees you from need to manually
> mount and unmount media.

Last time I saw supermount code I almost lost my lunch (although that
was the 2.4 version, I'm not entirely optimistic, and I've just eaten).

For 2.6, it's entirely possible that it can be done almost entirely in
userspace using udev & dbus. The work Robert Love and the other ximian
folks are doing on this seems to be moving along at a speedy rate.
(Check out http://primates.ximian.com/~rml/blog/ for info)

	Dave