Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jan 9 05:02:54 UTC 2004

> But I ask again: if SuSE is doing this, is it working for them and their users
> RIGHT NOW?  I don't have the answer; I just threw out the idea.  The few
> users that have posted in fedora-list have seemed enthusiastic.

no way, enthusiatic users on fedora-list who won't have to deal with the
consequences if such a thing were done? I'm shocked to hear that.

> SuSE is doing this; let's find out how it's working for them and not reinvent
> the wheel, needlessly duplicate effort, and waste time.

And the response to the Suse^WNovell patching mechanism by a variety of
'authorities' on rpm has been "yeeeeeeeeech"

so if you feel like you're getting pushback it's b/c there is a lot of
reaction to things that will create an enormous amount of complexity,
cost a lot of development time and bear out questionable fruit.

-sv