RPM submission procedure

Ronny Buchmann ronny-vlug at vlugnet.org
Fri Jan 9 08:22:20 UTC 2004

On Friday 09 January 2004 01:42, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> ronny-vlug at vlugnet.org (Ronny Buchmann) writes:
> >> No, when a package is in a public repository it is too late. People will
> >> begin to use this repository as default one since it has lots of cool
> >> packages. Since packages are already published, bugreports will have a
> >> low priority for the packagers and bugs stay forever (rawhide is a good
> >> example).
> >
> > I don't think this is a problem. When rawhide bugs are not maintained
> > this mostly means they are gone
>
> A basic package like 'procps' is broken for nearly two months already...
in Extras you could fix it yourself and your (newer) package would eventually
be voted to stable

> > or they didn't really exist or the reporter has no real interest in
> > it.
>
> What can a reporter do? Shall he setup a cronjob which enters "problem
> still exists" comments regularly?
this may sometimes help ;)
but for Extras this is (would be) different, see above

> But it is true; when a bug is ignored in rawhide for a certain time I
> begin to use workarounds and can not answer later questions since
> reproducing the problem would lead to painful reconfigurations.
>
> > None would be a reason not to publish the package for testing.
>
> 'testing' in fedora.us terminology means: "I am not sure if it is
> stable or unstable". Coming back to 'procps': this package is neither
> stable nor unstable, just unusable and should never have entered a
> public repository.
>
> I remember other packages like sudo or vixie-cron which were given in
> the same, non-functional state into rawhide.
The problem is not the non-functional state, but that nobody in the position
to make a new package feels the urgent need to do so. I hope this will change
sometime.
For Extras this is already now a different situation. Everybody can make a new
package.

> Therefore it is important that there is a QA which tests packages before
> they will be published at a public place.
>
> > Testing is not for the faint of heart. Why should Fedora Extras
> > testing be more stable than Fedora Core testing (aka Rawhide)?!
>
> Because packages will stay there forever (like in the current fedora.us
> QA queue) and people will begin to use this repository by default.  And
> rawhide like repositories are nothing for Joe User...
If package QA is fast and easy (I think voting would be good) they will not
stay in testing. Voting can also be based on spec file style. Some Vetoing
would be useful to stop clear bugs in the spec.

--
http://LinuxWiki.org/RonnyBuchmann