RPM submission procedure

Fri Jan 9 09:43:40 UTC 2004

Le ven 09/01/2004 à 00:50, Ronny Buchmann a écrit :
> On Thursday 08 January 2004 20:56, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> > steve at silug.org (Steven Pritchard) writes:
> > > Personally, I think style issues should be reserved for *after* any
> > > package has made it into testing, at least.
> >
> > No, when a package is in a public repository it is too late. People will
> > begin to use this repository as default one since it has lots of cool
> > packages. Since packages are already published, bugreports will have a
> > low priority for the packagers and bugs stay forever (rawhide is a good
> > example).
> I don't think this is a problem. When rawhide bugs are not maintained this
> mostly means they are gone or they didn't really exist or the reporter has no
> real interest in it.

Or the reporter has no wish to make a pest of himself.
I've personally open enough bugzilla entries in different systems over
the years to be confident my reports can be exploited. When I open a bug
I follow it and answer whatever questions the developer has. Now more
than once I had questions asked after I opened a bug, and nothing
happened after I answered them (sometimes just a few hours after they
were submitted).

At this point I won't waste my time prodding the developer anymore.
Hell, by the time I've written up a report I usually have one or two
ugly workarounds I'm making use of. I'm usually not opening bugs because
I'm stuck. I'm opening them to improve the overall Fedora/Red Hat
quality because I'm grateful for the service they provide, and I don't
pay for the systems I install on my personal computers. It's up to the
distribution QA to follow up on my reports. If they choose not to do it,
I certainly won't try to force them.

(and when I can't follow on a bug I write it but this only happened to
me once or twice so far)

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot