QA process was Re: RPM submission procedure

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Fri Jan 9 22:29:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 16:47, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:32:49 -0500, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
>
> > What I'm suggesting is that if every distro has entirely separate specs,
> > you are tending torward these sorts of conflicts. But if the distros are
> > less insistent that a spec is for their distro alone, then we have less
> > tendency to diverge.
>
> Fine. Get all distributors to agree on common package naming guidelines,
> on a common set of RPM macros, on a common set of helper tools, etc. etc.

At this point, as you seem to feel, that is probably not feasible.

But is it not possible to handle this divergence in some way?

For instance, I can easily imagine making several specs from one spec.in
via automake. But AFAIK RPM doesn't have a way to choose between
"nagios-plugins.fedora.spec" and "nagios-plugins.mandrake.spec".

I don't see how the genie can be put back in the bottle. But I do wonder
if we have a chance to stop the genie from getting bigger than
necessary.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please