QA process was Re: RPM submission procedure

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Jan 10 10:16:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 16:47, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:32:49 -0500, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> >
> > > What I'm suggesting is that if every distro has entirely separate specs,
> > > you are tending torward these sorts of conflicts. But if the distros are
> > > less insistent that a spec is for their distro alone, then we have less
> > > tendency to diverge.
> >
> > Fine. Get all distributors to agree on common package naming guidelines,
> > on a common set of RPM macros, on a common set of helper tools, etc. etc.
>
> At this point, as you seem to feel, that is probably not feasible.
>
> But is it not possible to handle this divergence in some way?
>
> For instance, I can easily imagine making several specs from one spec.in
> via automake. But AFAIK RPM doesn't have a way to choose between
> "nagios-plugins.fedora.spec" and "nagios-plugins.mandrake.spec".

Yes, in most cases it are different people anyway that maintain the
different SPEC files for the same project. And since so many things differ
between eg. SuSE, Mandrake and Red Hat it may be wiser to have them in
different files. (Dependencies, Init scripts, Group-tag, %pre*/%post*)

And you could still allow looking for eg.

	nagios-plugins.fedora.spec
	nagios-plugins.redhat.spec
	nagios-plugins.spec

I once mentioned such a scheme on the distcc ml. Since currently
developers don't add SPEC files, as they tend to favor only one
distribution.