Automatic Firewall

Martin Sturm martin at wolkje.net
Sat Jan 10 15:12:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 13:34, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> I think it does not add so much respective to the present situation
> and in addition it is unapplicable: there are some ADSL modems who
> force the computer to use an address in the 10.x.x.x range for
> interfacing with them and that means that the ethernet card with an
> address in the 10.x.x.x is in direct contact with the Internet and,
> according to your proposal, unfirewalled.

You forgot to mention that most home users are in this described
situation. Besides that I often use my laptop at the university network
with serveral hundred (or maybe thousand?) hosts on the network, all
using a private ip-address range... Then I also like to be secured
against the evil users on that network.

Martin Sturm