rawhide report: 20040109 changes

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 14:15:59 UTC 2004

On Jan 11, 2004, Warren Togami <warren at togami.com> wrote:

> Well, have you tried dovecot?

No, I only read its docs, just did again, and I don't see that it
supports preauth imap.  In fact, when I run it from the command line,
all I get is:

[aoliva at free aoliva]$ dovecot
Fatal: Can't use SSL certificate /usr/share/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem: Permission denied

whereas:

[aoliva at free aoliva]$ imapd
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] Pre-authenticated user aoliva free.redhat.lsd.ic.unicamp.br IMAP4rev1 2003.338rh at Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:12:22 -0200 (BRST)

See the PREAUTH.  fetchmail uses that.  Without it, the imap server
would have to be running as a privileged user, and I'd need an
additional password in its core to enable it to get access to my own
mailbox.

> It is quite nice, and without the hassle and unreliability of
> xinetd.

I don't want xinetd at all.  I just need something that exposes to the
command-line my mailbox using the imap protocol, without the need for
additional authentication.  UW-imap offers this, and no imap server in
the current development tree does.  This is a major regression.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}