Apples and oranges (Was: Re: FC2 Wishlist Items)

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jan 13 17:09:21 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 07:56, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> However that interaction works, the basic requirements are going to
> look like this:
>
> 1. Submitters need to be able to drop source archives and associated
>    metadata in an incoming queue.  Whether the submission package is
>    just an SRPM or a tarball plus some kind of associated job card
>    like an LSM is a lower-level detail; I lean towards SRPMs myself
>    but I don't fundamentally care.
>
> 2. QA people will be processing the queue, a task which will come
> down to accepting/rejecting incoming packages and communicating with
> the developer about resubmissions of fixed versions of the rejects.
>
> 3. There will need to be some master record that anchors the QA
> process relating to a particular package -- a pointer at the current
> submission, a private email list for the developer/QA conversation,
> etc.  fedora.us uses Bugzilla records to implement this.
>
> The bit I'm interested in automating is the "drop it in the queue"
> part. This implies (1) knowing how to put submissions in the right
> place, and (2) some ability to mechanically add "looky here!" updates
> to the master record (hence, bugzilla-submit).
>
> Whatever goes on in the QA conversation is mostly orthogonal to this
> level of the design.

This may be the case, and now that you've clarified it, things make more
sense.  But I have to question, will people still be willing to check
in on the status of their package, and make any changes requested in
the bugzilla ID?  Will this tool be written so that it uses your
personal bugzilla account so that changes trigger an email to you?

I'm pretty interested in this, as I'd like to use it with the Fedora
Legacy project, hopefully extending it somewhat to gather the specific
Legacy information needed in the bugzilla ticket.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: