up2date problems (use a mirror)

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Wed Jan 14 13:07:45 UTC 2004

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> 1. Redirects are useless for most repositories out there - they mostly
> get their stuff on an http/ftp server they don't control so they can not
> do this kind of magic

By 'most repositories' do you mean official fedora mirrors? I was
limiting the bulk of the discussion to addressing official Fedora
mirrors. up2date and yum come preconfigured in a fresh fc1 install
pointed to redhat urls that redirect you to another redhat url for
official download server. I'm not sure I understand why using the
existing redirect url to point outside of redhat.com is not possible?

> 2. There is absolutely no need for the procedure to be interactive,
> except for rare cases where there is a need for a manual override. Just
> feed the download manager a list of mirrors and let it handle it,

There may not be a need for interaction with official fedora core
mirrors, but since Fedora Core can't official acknowledge other
repositories like livna due to packages of questionable US legal status
there will have to be some mechanism for interaction to add extra
'mirror files' for 3rd party repos after the install. And lets not
forget that the client side needs to be able to regrab a mirrorlist
periodically to get an updated list of mirrors, though whether or not
thats needs to an interactive step is debatable.

-jef