Odd error while booting

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Jan 15 06:02:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 csm at Lunar-Linux.org wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Dave Jones spewed into the bitstream:
>
> DJ>On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 05:34, csm at Lunar-Linux.org wrote:
> DJ>>
> DJ>> When I boot this x86_64 system I get an error saying that toshiba_acpi
> DJ>> cannot be loaded. Any ideas what this is?
> DJ>
> DJ>ACPI extras module for Toshiba laptops.
> DJ>Utterly useless on a x86_64 system.
>
> Okay... but why is it trying to load? I do not have it loading anywhere...
> it's not in my modules.conf file.

Because in last minutes before release of FC1, Bill Nottingham(?)
added a couple of lines to rc.sysinit to load every acpi modules
it can find.  Harmless probably.  But the funniest part is that
'thermal' module depends on 'processor', and the sole reason that
it's working is that 'p'<'t'!

I would send a patch to move loading modules in /etc/init.d/acpi
instead.

behdad