Developer Blogs, Weblog News

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 15 18:38:44 UTC 2004

Steve Hanson wrote:
>> I think it would be very effective for our community if we had one or
>> multiple sites that either officially or unofficially served for
>> Developers Blogs and Weblog-style News.
>>
> Hi -
> I'm the editor of fedorazine.com - http://www.fedorazine.com
>
> If there is any interest in this, I'd be glad to see if I can work out a
> way to host it on Fedorazine. It's primarily a news and howto site, and
> I could fairly easily set up a blog or something similar, depending on
> what the developers would really want.
>
> Also - I'm very much interested in conducting an email interview with
> some of the developers, particularly concentrating on upcoming goodies
> in Core 2 - if any of you would be interested in participating, please
> drop me a line.
>
> And if there's anything we can do to be supportive of the developer
> community or promote Fedora, I'd like to know.
>
> Thanks

Please pardon me, because I am skeptical by default.  I would personally
support an entity for use of project developer blogs and/or weblog-style
news if and only if that site:

1) Is clueful enough to get most facts correct without the developers
constantly sending corrections or getting angry.
2) Exists solely for the benefit of the community, the project, and
development and not self-aggrandizement, financial gain, or other motives.
3) Has an enthusiastic backing of community believers in that project.

Sites that fit this description:
http://dot.kde.org
http://www.gnomedesktop.org

Sites that do not fit this description:
http://osnews.com

Given that your site is new, and I do not personally know you, I do not
yet know which side of the coin your site will be.

Warren