Developer Blogs, Weblog News

Steve Hanson shanson at fedorazine.com
Thu Jan 15 20:06:53 UTC 2004

Warren Togami wrote:

> Please pardon me, because I am skeptical by default.  I would personally
> support an entity for use of project developer blogs and/or weblog-style
> news if and only if that site:
>
> 1) Is clueful enough to get most facts correct without the developers
> constantly sending corrections or getting angry.
> 2) Exists solely for the benefit of the community, the project, and
> development and not self-aggrandizement, financial gain, or other motives.
> 3) Has an enthusiastic backing of community believers in that project.
>
> Sites that fit this description:
> http://dot.kde.org
> http://www.gnomedesktop.org
>
> Sites that do not fit this description:
> http://osnews.com
>
> Given that your site is new, and I do not personally know you, I do not
> yet know which side of the coin your site will be.

I have no interest in either offending anyone or causing any
kind of flame war.  Really.  So all I have to say here is:

a.  Fedorazine has been around almost as long as Fedora
Core.  Which is to say, not very long.  So if you're looking
to work with someone with a longer track record, I
understand.  But on the other hand, I went out and set up a
site primarily because I was trying to help out the
community.  I have to assume from your comment that you
don't trust that.  Again, not a lot I can do about that
except to try to win that trust.

b.  By way of introduction, I've been a UNIX admin on
various platforms for about 1/2 of my life - about 25 years.
I'm an admin at a small university during the day. I've been
running Fedorazine mostly as a little project and as a way
to learn about running a community web site - which has been
interesting.  In past lives I've been the head admin at
FERMILAB and worked as a consultant, primarily on storage,
backup, and email. I make beer and wine and cheese, and live
on a farm in rural Wisconsin.

I guess that's about as well as you're going to get to know
me right now - but one of the reasons I set the site up was
to become more involved in the Linux community. I'm not
profiting from it (believe me, anything but profiting).  I
made this offer because I thought it would be helpful.
That's all there was to it. If you want to work with someone
else that's fine. But you did ask if someone would be
interested in doing such a site.  And since I already had
one it seemed - well - sensible to offer to work with the
developers on what you were suggesting.  I really am
interested in making this site  a community and have people
contributing information and viewpoints - but if people
don't want to do so I have plenty of other things to keep me
busy - at the moment I'm trying to figure out for example
what ate the 6 gigs of address space on my mail server while
I was at lunch.

c.  What you asked for was a place to put things like blogs
and articles - so I guess it's hard for me to see how my
possibly not having a clue would break what the developers
write. Although of course I do think that I have a clue.

Now I have to go back to work. If anyone's interested in
this or anything else I can do to help et me know.