rawhide report: 20040115 changes

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Jan 18 11:58:17 UTC 2004

Gavin Henry wrote:

>>>One of the beauties of Open Source.
>>>
>>>The NSA is charged with several things including protecting the USA from
>>>bad stuff. Nobody would trust the NSA code apart from the fact that being
>>>open lots of other people (including foreign NSA equivalents) have been
>>>looking over it. If the NSA have backdoored it then it would have to be
>>>very well hidden, and its probably much more likely they backdoored
>>>the x86 silicon instead.
>>>
>>>Alan
>

> What about grsecurity? Were there any talks about this instead of SELinux?

SELinux was included as a standard part of the upstream 2.6 kernel.
grsecurity was not.

I myself have never used grsecurity, but I understand that it has
exec-shield-like protection and some MAC-like protections.  I highly
suspect that selinux can do everything grsecurity can do, and perhaps
more, and with finer granularity.

Warren