perl and multilib considerations?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jan 19 22:28:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 11:12, Warren Togami wrote:

> BuildRequires: %(perl -le 'use Config; print $Config{archlibexp}')
> On a related note, one might be tempted to use this in spec files too,
> but think about it... perl would not be installed in order to output the
> directory name necessary to implicate itself for BuildRequires. =)

Well, rpm-build requires perl at least on FC1 so I wouldn't be too
worried about that even though it's not necessarily too "pretty" or
"correct" ;)

On the other hand, AFAICS as a general advice, the "perl -le" thingy
above applies to non-noarch module packages only.

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 13:17, Florian La Roche wrote:

> I thought Chip tried the last time to enable backwards compatibility,
> but it was an unknown how much would still break or needs rebuilding.

Generic binary backwards compatibility might hard to achieve for perl,
given that there have been some "challenges" upstream as well:
http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.3/pod/perl582delta.pod#Incompatible_Changes
And of course perl < 5.8.0 is binary incompatible with all >= 5.8.0.