FC2 devel/i386 vs VIA EPIA boards

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:14:38 UTC 2004

Hello Alan,

> The Cyrix P166 should run with 586 (non MMX) kernels but the older
> revisions should weird cache problems we think are hardware. The Cx486/Cx386
> processors need 486/386 kernel respectively

(Getting a little confused here, since my last conclusion was this Cyrix
is i386 compatible, but now I see Michael Johnson stating in bugzilla it
is an i486 compatible...)

The problem is not the kernel, but rpm. I was able to install exporting
the disk from another system on the same machine and rpm-ing to the NFS
mount. It runs, but rpm is unusable because of an illegal instruction,
which is probably the cmov.

I guess it is time to import my bookmarks from doze and do some
backtracking.

Bye,
Leonard.