FC2 devel/i386 vs VIA EPIA boards

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jan 20 02:06:29 UTC 2004

Hi Dave,

> > > FC with xfce (as now in Rawhide) is quite usable on a 32Mb 486DX100 laptop.
> > > 486SX is a bit of a disaster as all the newer UI stuff is FP happy
> >
> > Am I right in concluding cmov is an i486 instruction then?
>
> No. First appeared in the PPro iirc. It's an optional extension to the
> 686 family.

Yeah, just figured that out. It's a P6 instruction according to
Dr.Dobb's (http://x86.ddj.com/secrets/opcodes/cmov.htm).

This would still cause trouble when running rpm on the above DX. Guess
I'll have to build db4 without nptl as well (already disabled nptl for
rpm itself, not sure about beecrypt, anyone?) (or keep upgrading over
NFS).

Concerning the i386 and i486 instruction set, I already figured out they
are slightly different, haven't got to the details though.

(I sincerely hope Zoltán managed to install FC rawhide using the correct
boot image, 'cause I feel a bit like hijacking the thread. ;)

Bye,
Leonard.