FC2 devel/i386 vs VIA EPIA boards

Boszormenyi Zoltan zboszor at freemail.hu
Tue Jan 20 06:42:54 UTC 2004

Dave Jones írta:
> My vague recollection of early cyrix history recalls that the cpu
> in that bug report needed magick with a set686 tool to enable
> things like cpuid.  Some of their even earlier cpus were also
> claiming to be 586's but were actually just fast 486's feature-wise.
>
> I've heard from folks running FC1 on K6's without problem, and
> even things like P133's.  The weirder of the pre pentium-class CPUs
> are going to cause pain to support.
>
> The fact that most of the boards that run < 686 cpus won't
> hold enough ram to run FC is probably one strong reason to
> not bother with an i386/i486 kernel.
>
> 	Dave

This board has two SDRAM slots, currently has 256MB RAM installed.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Samuel 2
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 533.365
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1064.96

It seems to be closer to a PII without the obscure pse36 etc features.
A nohighmem kernel would do just fine. And sorry, it's not an EPIA-M,
it's EPIA VE5000.

--
Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi