A new memtest program included in next Fedora ?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jan 20 20:27:19 UTC 2004

Konstantin Riabitsev wrote:

>> I have one that does just that for Linux at DUKE. I'll see if I can adapt
>> it to memtest86+ today.
>

> OK, see:
> http://www.phy.duke.edu/~icon/RPMS/memtest86/memtest86+-1.00-1.src.rpm
>
> It builds three packages:
>
> memtest86+-grub
> memtest86+-grub-serial
> memtest86+-utils
>
> The first two are obvious. The third one installs a floppy image and an
> iso image into /usr/lib/memtest86+ and provides a small utility for
> creating bootable floppies and CDs. Example:
>
> memtest-make --floppy=/dev/fd0
> memtest-make --cddev=1,0,0
>
> I've only compiled and tested this on RH-9, but I doubt there will be
> any issues on FC1 and above, but I would be happy to accept problem
> reports. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't build if -mcpu=i686 is
> given, so this is limited to -march=i386.
>
> Hope this is useful.
>
> Regards,

I am thinking, would it be possible to minimize this to a single binary
RPM?  We should try to limit the proliferation of the millions of tiny
binary RPMS that contain very little.

The single binary RPM should not contain a separate floppy and ISO
image, but instead have a script that generates those images on-demand
from the tiny binary installed into /boot/.  grub-serial is a good idea,
but why not have this single package add two grub entries?

Anyhow, just my opinion... I am interested to hear other opinions.

Warren