2.6.1 kernel question

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jan 22 08:00:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 20:51, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 22.01.2004 schrieb Alan um 03:22:

> > Well, I found out what went wrong. Not certain what caused it.
> >
> > /proc was no longer functional!  (Not certain why. Maybe this system
> > needs a /proctologist.)
>
> This is just because /proc is no longer used for system states in kernel
> 2.6. Absolutely normal and no error on your system. Maybe you should
> read the kernel documentation to know all changes.

Actually rebooting the system brought /proc back to a usable state.
Something within the kernel bit it.  That was just the symptom. (Might
have taken /sys as well, but I did not check.)

And I have read the kernel docs.

BTW, I have noticed a few interesting differences between the arjan
2.6.1 and the Fedora devel 2.6.1.  I assume the Fedora development
version is the "preferred" version, even though it has a earlier version
number.

ALSA took a slight bit of hacking, but is working. I noticed that the
arjan version has the OSS modules built as well.  I kind of like having
the OSS modules not built since it forced me to configure correctly.
Hopefully the sound cards get configured correctly on install.

--
"Push that big, big granite sphere way up there from way down here!
Gasp and sweat and pant and wheeze! Uh-oh! Feel momentum cease!