2.6.1 kernel question -- SOLVED

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 22 10:51:08 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 22.01.2004 schrieb Alan um 09:52:
> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 00:00, Alan wrote:

> > > This is just because /proc is no longer used for system states in kernel
> > > 2.6. Absolutely normal and no error on your system. Maybe you should
> > > read the kernel documentation to know all changes.
> >
> > Actually rebooting the system brought /proc back to a usable state.
> > Something within the kernel bit it.  That was just the symptom. (Might
> > have taken /sys as well, but I did not check.)
>
> It was not eliminating /proc, just making it unusable.

Sorry, I did not mean that with kernel 2.6 /proc will be empty or even
deleted, but thing related to system status are now in /sys. This will
cause applications not ready for kernel 2.6, as they want to gather
their information out of /proc and not looking in /sys, not to work any
longer (proper).

> Another program was causing the problem.  When I tried configuring it,
> it was trying to do a modprobe for a couple of modules for a device that
> did not exist.  (The parallel port, which had been turned off.)  The
> modprobe would hang and cause things like lsmod and /proc to be
> unresponsive.
>
> Turning the parallel port back on fixed the symptom.  I will get exact
> details as to the parameters that caused modprobe to hang.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999