2.6.1 kernel question

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Jan 22 18:58:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 08:00, Alan wrote:

> BTW, I have noticed a few interesting differences between the arjan
> 2.6.1 and the Fedora devel 2.6.1.  I assume the Fedora development
> version is the "preferred" version, even though it has a earlier version
> number.

Ignore the differences in version numbers. They're kept in different
CVS repositories, so when I imported arjan's (when he was at 1.100 or
something), it got reset back to 1.1.

> ALSA took a slight bit of hacking, but is working. I noticed that the
> arjan version has the OSS modules built as well.

Current version shouldn't. In fact, his tree killed off OSS before mine
did 8-)

> I kind of like having
> the OSS modules not built since it forced me to configure correctly.

That's the plan. That and get a lot more people testing ALSA, to
beat out any regressions.   If we'd continued to ship the OSS drivers
too, we would've limited that testing, and possibly even lost some
bug reports as people worked around problems by using the OSS drivers
when the ALSA ones failed.

The price of progress is painful to bear at times, but hopefully, not
too painful.

	Dave