2.6.1 kernel question -- SOLVED

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 22 19:14:30 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 22.01.2004 schrieb Dave Jones um 20:00:
> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 10:51, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I did not mean that with kernel 2.6 /proc will be empty or even
> > deleted, but thing related to system status are now in /sys. This will
> > cause applications not ready for kernel 2.6, as they want to gather
> > their information out of /proc and not looking in /sys, not to work any
> > longer (proper).
>
> Nothing has been removed from proc, nor is it planned to any time soon.
> sysfs right now supplements, not replaces the info in /proc .
>
> 	Dave

So you say Dave, that some data will be both in /proc as well in /sys at
the same time running kernel 2.6? From what I read so far I had the
impression some things would move from /proc into the sysfs for the
reason that the kernel developers decided to divide information which
belongs to system state and those which really belongs to /proc.

So far I have not run a 2.6 kernel by my own. The redundant information
in /proc and /sys would make sense as system information programs will
work on 2.4 and on 2.6 kernel.

Thanks

Alexander

--