Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sat Jan 24 13:31:56 UTC 2004

FWIW, I think I started the 1998 thread on adding difference support to
rpm with a mistaken assumption that rhmask could do this.  I believe it
ended when Elliot Lee posted some code that used xdelta to do the
differencing and we figured out that we couldn't reconstruct the rpm
packages so that the gpg (pgp then) signatures were valid.

I believe there was talk that moving from commandline gzip to zlib would
make this possible but I don't know if that's true (would be possible to
test now)

Since Elliot's offered his code as a base, I think if someone's still
interested in this they ought to pick it up and see if there are
remaining problems in making this work.  It's much easier to convince
other coders if you can show you've already worked out most of the time
consuming, bug-hunting problems :-)

-Toshio