zsh configuration proposal

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Jan 25 01:07:46 UTC 2004

All good points.  You don't need to use zsh if you don't want to.  Zsh
has had completions probably since the beginning, whereas the
bash_completions rpm is relatively new.  I started using zsh a few years
ago.  The compinstall script is a pretty nice and convenient way to
configure zsh, though.  It has an autoload function which is pretty
useful, because it loads functions into memory so that they are quick to
access.  I'm not sure if bash has the same thing, but it might.

I'm pretty sure macosx turns on correction by default system wide in
tcsh and bash.  I don't see how its harmful; please explain.

Honestly, I don't know the full extent of what bash can do if configured
properly.  Zsh has array variables, colored prompts, correction-on-tab,
and a few other things that I enjoy.  I'm not saying that bash doesn't,
just that I've never investigated that.

-Eric Hattemer